Brosgall Legal | Notary Services assists clients complete their IMM 5409 Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union. If you have any questions, or want to book an appointment to see a Commissioner of Oaths, please send us an email or call us at 604-685-ADAM .
How do common-law partners prove they have been together for 12 months?
Items that can be used as proof of a common-law relationship include:
- a statutory declaration of a common-law union (IMM 5409)
- statements for shared bank accounts
- shared credit cards
- proof of shared ownership of residential property
- shared residential leases
- shared rental receipts
- bills for shared utilities accounts, such as
- proof of shared management of household expenses
- evidence of shared purchases (especially of household items)
- mail addressed to either or both of you at the same address
- important documents for both of you showing the same address, such as
- identification documents
- driver's licences
- insurance policies
- any other documents that show you have been living together
Citizenship and Immigration Canada advises that you do not need to include all these items to prove that your relationship is real. CIC may consider other proof as well. Keep in mind that photos, telephone bills and letters are not returned. Do not send videos or CD-ROMs. Documents such as marriage certificates and passports will be returned. However, you should send certified photocopies, not originals.
Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409) Requirements
As a Commissioner of Oaths, Mr. Brosgall will ensure that you have read and fully understood the document. You will then swear the statements in the document are true. The procedural requirements for statutory declarations are as follows:
- The Deponent (you) must be physically present with the Commissioner of Oaths when signing.
- The Deponent must indicate that they have read and understood the statements contained in the document.
- The Deponent must orally state that they make the declaration conscientiously believing it to be true and knowing that it is of the same legal force and effect as if made under oath.
- The Commissioner of Oaths must be satisfied regarding the identity of the Deponent. This means you must bring proper government issued picture ID (such as a driver's licence, passport, etc.) when you visit our office.
When all these requirements are satisfied by the Declarant and the partner, the Commissioner of Oaths will sign the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union IMM 5409. Finally, Mr. Brosgall will apply his stamp and seal to your document.
Vancouver Commissioner of Oaths, Notary Public, and Lawyer
As a Commissioner of Oaths, Notary Public and Lawyer, Mr. Brosgall is fully qualified, licenced and insured to swear the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union IMM 5409 form. If you have any questions, or want to book an appointment, please send us an email or call us at 604-685-ADAM . You may also visit our VancouverNotary.biz home page for further information. Same day service and walk-ins are always welcome.