Brosgall Legal | Notary Services specializes in assisting clients with the Authentication and Legalization of international documentation, and we would be pleased to help you with your Apostille needs. Getting an authentication and legalization completed in BC can be very complex, so we've simplified the process for our clients. Once you give us your documents, or sign your paperwork before us, we take it from there. We provide you with the fully authenticated and legalized documents at the other end. For further information or to discuss getting your documents authenticated and legalized with Brosgall Legal, please send us an email or call us at 604-685-ADAM .
What is an Apostille?
When you need to sign or copy important documents in Vancouver, BC, there are very particular rules and procedures to be followed in order to make them legal and valid for use in other countries. The authentication and legalization process, also known as 'Apostille' in other countries, is the only method to have your documents accepted in foreign jurisdictions.
Why are Legalizations Necessary?
Historically, for many centuries, different countries had very limited means to allow the recognition of foreign lawyers and notaries. As a result, they relied on their local consulates and embassies to verify that a foreign notary or lawyer was in fact licenced and geniune. The term 'Apostille' was created in 1961 via the Hague Apostille Convention. The Apostille Convention provided easier verification of international documentation. Canada, however, was not a signatory of the Apostille Convention. Therefore, Canada, along with many other countries, still use the historical consular legalization method.
Can I get an Apostille for my Vancouver Documentation?
Unfortunately, as mentioned above, Apostilles are not issued in Canada. Therefore, Canadian documents must be certified by one of several Canadian authentication agencies. Further, they must then be certified by the local consulate (in Vancouver, Toronto, or Ottawa) of the country where the documents are headed. The process is as follows:
- The document must be notarized or certified by a BC Notary Public or BC lawyer.
- The notarized document must then be authenticated by one of two BC agencies, or Canada's Foreign Affairs (Global Affairs Canada).
- Finally, the notarized and authenticated document must be verified by the intended country's consulate in Canada, which is known as the 'legalization' step.
What Types of Documents Require Legalization?
We often assist our clients legalize their document in the following areas:
- Powers of Attorney
- Identificatation documentation
- Certified true copies of original documents
- International conveyances
- Commercial documents
- Corporate documentation
- Letters of Intent
- Police Records Checks and clearance certificates
- diplomas, degrees, and academic transcripts
- Visa documentation for workers
- Birth Certificates for legal weddings in foreign jurisdictions
- Death Certificates for Probate in foreign jurisdictions
- Advising as to proper procedure in complex situations involving multiple jurisdictions
- Assisting with document preparation for immigration and emigration with foreign jurisdictions
Brosgall Legal specializes in providing authentication and legalization services for all of these sorts of documents. We have years of experience working with the BC and Canadian government authorities, as well as the foreign consulates and embassies in Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa. We manage the legalization process on your behalf, guaranteeing that your documents will be legal and valid for use abroad.
Vancouver Notary Public, Commissioner of Oaths, and Lawyer
Brosgall Legal's owner and principal, Adam Brosgall, is an experienced Vancouver Notary Public, BC Commissioner of Oaths, and Lawyer. He is fully qualified, licenced, and insured to handle international notarizations, authentications, and legalizations (Apostilles). If you have any questions, please feel free to send us an email, or call 604-685-ADAM  to book an appointment. Same day service and walk-ins are welcome. Please see our Vancouver Notary home page for our other services, and we look forward to assisting.